Tuesday, March 29, 2016

My Relationship With Falz Is Professional – Simi


Simisola Ogunleye popularly known as Simi is the first lady of the X3M music label which also has Praiz. Blessed with a unique voice, Simi’s songs namely Tiff, Jamb Question, Open And Close and recently, Love Don’t Care, have won her a fan base as she displays her versatility.  In this chat with
SAMUEL ABULUDE, the Mass Communication graduate of Covenant University, speaks on the alleged romance between her and musician, Folarin Falana better known as Falz, planned release of her album this year and other issues. 


So far how has 2016 been for you?

The year has been going great as I hope to follow in the trend of making it worthwhile for myself, household, fans and loved ones; as part of the year also I put out song in February titled ‘Love Don’t Care’ which I know is doing great and enjoying massive airplay and has equally stayed on the top 10 charts on radio stations. Also as part of the first quarter of the year too, we just shot the video of Soldier which features Falz and myself and is expected to be released very soon.

Most of the songs you have put out recently usually have a touch a humour in it, is it a kind of niche you are trying to create for the Simi brand?

Yes, I think is something people are beginning to notice in my music, there is usually a touch of humor in it but the fact is there are lots of my songs that are serious business and not a pinch of humor in it but one thing you intend to realize about my songs that are humor in it, they are usually realistic.

Your Song Love Don’t care discussed some important issues like love been the overall ruler not withstanding tribe; would you date a cobbler for love reasons and not for his profession?

(Laughs) The funny thing there is that, the song as much as I was talking to everybody, I was also talking to myself too, the things that will make me pause; this is not me trying to judge people on their relationship. Growing up, my mum used to call me Okoro, my mum is not that kind of person that will give a tribe boundary in relationship but she will emphasize on the fact that the person has to be a Christian. Your question is a valid question but the truth is, I don’t know if I would marry or date a cobbler.

Do you write your lyrics yourself?

Of course, I write  my lyrics myself and for other people, don’t forget that I am just a singer, I am equally a song writer and I mix and mastered most of my songs myself.

How will you describe the Simi brand?

I am a very straight person that likes to say things the way I see them, I don’t like to beat around the bush.  One thing I dislike most is pretense because I don’t like people who pretend. Hence my kind of person, when I see something and feels there is much to be said about it, I do just that in a very polite way.

So what keeps you going?

I have an amazing team, people that are on my case; there is really little I can do myself like I can write my song, mix and master but there is an engine that makes it work better and that is my management team that makes sure at all time, I stand on the right path. I have always said this that for no reason I am very favored because God loves me so much and put a little extra time in molding me to what I have become today.

How much difference can you tell about the Simi then and now that are on the Xtreme music label?

A lot has changed because, before I was signed on Xtreme label, how many people know me? Not even my songs but now that I have one of the best management team, they take on all my stress and make things happen for me easily. Now I am more calculated and focused to know that the entertainment industry is truly a busy one that comes with lots of work to carry on.

What will say your label is doing differently from other record labels?

In all fairness, I don’t know what they do in other record label but all I can say is that my label has always got my back at all time and at times I get a no for some suggestions I make and that is the more reason I love my team; I love people who can say no to me and not necessarily giving me a yes to create an impression. There is something I saw online that says sometimes you have to desist from people who says yes to you all the time because you are probably not likely to grow. Take for instance, before we released Jamb question, I was going to drop Open and Close but my management team disagreed on that and that made feel real bad but at the end of the day when Jamb Question was released before Open and Close; I realized it was a great decision.

Will you say you are currently enjoying your celebrity status?

Celebrity Status!!!! Well this is the real me that can still stop by and buy roasted plantain by the road side; I don’t feel uncomfortable, I am not blown away by fame because that  is not what excite me on the game, what excites me is the music. I am happy about my celebrity status only because more people know my music and want to relate with it.

Describe your genre of music?

My kind of music is Afro Pop/RNB but mostly Afro-soul.

Your collaboration with Falz on the song, Soldier was a good one?

Yeah! Thank you. I even wrote the song ‘Soldier’ but I didn’t want to release it. Falz is a very good friend of mine, heard the song and like it. He told me he wanted the song for his album and it became a collaboration. I’m happy people like it now.

If you are to do a song about yourself, what will the title be and why?

Waow! I love that question, I think it will be All Love because I feel like when other people are happy, I am equally happy because this life that you see is so short and all one is needed to do is to smile and be happy; and I equally know that the root of happiness is love which can be spread to loved ones.

When should your fans be expecting your album?

Definitely this year, as hands are currently on deck towards the successful outcome of the album, I won’t be disclosing the number of tracks and title for now as we are still working on that but my fans should be rest assured that the album will drop this year all things been possible.

If your biography is to be commissioned, what will the title be and why?

The title will be ‘The girl that kept going’ because I don’t believe in discouragement, I want to strive hard to make an impact and as well make people reason along my lines of thought.  The girl that kept going for me is the best titled I can have.

What really keeps you going?

My passion because the only reason why I am doing music is because my attention span can very small but one thing that keeps me more focus is music. Music is that one thing I really want to learn about and the passion I have for the art; music pushes me on and that keeps me going. If I wasn’t into music fulltime, I would probably be either a writer or O.A.P. you see I don’t do it commercially or to get money from it but it’s not something yet. Writing is a part of me and media; you can’t do music without media.

No comments:

Post a Comment

type your comments here